Cholesterol Testing Now Available at McDaid’s
Total Cholesterol – €20
Full lipid profile- €30
What is Cholesterol
Heart disease, or cardiovascular disease (CVD) is the most common cause of death in Ireland, accounting for 36% of all deaths and 22% of deaths in those aged under 65.
One of the best ways to reduce your risk of CVD is to keep cholesterol level in your blood at a healthy level.
raised cholesterol levels will rarely produce any symptoms but will significantly increase your risk of developing CVD. Only a blood test will tell you if your cholesterol levels are raised.
We can check your total cholesterol level in store with our cholesterol test and give you written results in less than 5 minutes.
The cholesterol test involves taking a small sample of blood (about one large drop) from the finger tip which is then put into a machine which measures the cholesterol level.
By taking other risk factors into account (such as age, family history, smoking history etc), we will also be able to tell your overall risk of developing CVD and give you dietary and other advice on lowering your risk.
Just contact one of our stores to make an appointment for a cholesterol test.
Patients need to fast for 12hours before a full lipid screening however a total cholesterol reading can be given if the patient has not fasted.
Recommended normal cholesterol levels
NHS guidelines recommend that total cholesterol levels should be:
- 5mmol/L or less for healthy adults;
- 4mmol/L or less for those at high risk.
And of this total, what is a normal cholesterol level when it comes to LDL-cholesterol (bad cholesterol) guidelines?
- 3mmol/L or less for healthy adults
- 2mmol/L or less for those at high risk
- It is recommended that you have 1mmol/L of HDL-cholesterol (“good cholesterol”) in your blood.
Cholesterol testing fee: Total cholesterol €20
Lipid profile €30
Quick Overview of Our Equipment
- Accutrend Plus Meter systems is flexible, hand-held point of care device for the main risk factors of cardiovascular diseases (CVD) and diabetes
- Simple to use and cost effective
- Rapid Results
- Accredited testing
- – Cholesterol – Quick, cost effective screening for cardiovascular risk
- – Glucose – Risk assessment for diabetes
- – Triglycerides – HIgh blood triglycerides are associated with an increased risk of developing coronary heart disease
- – Lactate – Used in sports therapy and in protocols such as sepis and diabetic ketoacidosis
- Built-in safety features : Automatic performance and meter self-testing
- Code-strips with positive lot identification and parameter recognition
- User-friendly data storage for reliable data handling and monitoring: up to 100 results
- Results can be stored with date, time, and additional information for each parameter