Lactulose is a very widely used laxative, which uses a form of osmotic effect to help relieve constipation in a gentle, reliable way.
Read instructions leaflet carefully before use. Adults and adolescents over 14 years take 15 ml twice daily. Children under 14 years should consult a doctor before use.For more products and special offers please go to our home page at mcdaidpharmacy.ie
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
Lactulose is a very widely used laxative, which helps relieve constipation in a gentle, reliable way. Lactulose aids in the return of normal bowel movement.
You Must Be Aged Over 18 Years to Purchase This Product
- Take your doses at the same time each day.
- The dose may be given once daily, for example during breakfast, or divided up to three doses a day.
- Swallow the medicine quickly. Do not keep it in your mouth.
- You can take Lactulose Fresenius oral solution undiluted or diluted in some liquid.
- Use the measuring cup provided.
- During the treatment with laxatives you should drink sufficient amounts of fluids (approx. 2 l/day, equal to 6 - 8 glasses).
Adults and adolescents aged 14 years and over, for Constipation:
Starting dose: 15 - 45ml daily
Maintenance dose: 15 - 30 ml daily
Children (7-14 years):
Starting dose: 15ml daily
Maintenance dose: 15ml daily
lactulose Children (2 - 6 years) : 5 - 10 ml daily
Thereafter the dose can be reduced individually. The daily dose should be taken at once during the breakfast
Do not take Lactulose oral solution:
- if you are allergic (hypersensitive) to any of the components of Lactulose oral solution.
- if you suffer from galactosaemia (a severe genetic disorder where you cannot digest galactose).
- acute inflammatory bowel disease (like Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis), blockage in your bowel (apart from normal constipation), digestive perforation or risk of digestive perforation, abdominal pain or undetermined cause.
Please tell your doctor before taking Lactulose oral solution:
- if you suffer from gastro-cardiac syndrome (Roemheld syndrome)
- if you have symptoms like meterorism or bloating after using it, stop the treatment and consult your doctor.
- Longterm use of unadjusted dosages (exceeding 2-3 soft stools per day) or misuse can lead to diarrhoea and disturbance of the electrolytes balance.
- If you are an elderly patient or a patient in bad general condition and who take Lactulose oral solution for more than a 6 month period, your doctor will regularly check your blood electrolytes.
- Patients with portal systemic encephalopathy should avoid additional use of other laxatives, because it hinders the individualisation of drug dose.
- Please do not use Lactulose oral solution without medical advice for more than two weeks.
- Lactulose oral solution should not normally be given to infants and smaller children as it can disturb the normal reflexes for passing stools. In special circumstances your doctor may prescribe Lactulose oral solution for a child, infant or baby. In these cases your doctor will supervise the treatment carefully.
- If you are pregnant or breast-feeding, think you may be pregnant or are planning to have a baby, ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice before taking this medicine.
The active substance is Lactulose (as lactulose liquid).
One ml of [invented name] solution contains 670 mg lactulose.
There are no other ingredients
Keep all medicines out the sight and reach of children.
Always consult the Patient Information Leaflet before using this medicine